Terms of Reference
(1 position for period of 1 year, with possibility of extension to 4 years)
Founded in 2004 under the Macedonian law as a “civic association” (or an NGO) the Center for Research and Policy Making – CRPM engages in policy analysis, seeking to open the policy making process to citizens, improve laws., assess institutional capacities for their implementation as well as monitor and evaluate how much these policies are creating public value or are directed towards the “Europeanization” of Macedonia.
We also deliver trainings, make evaluations of donor programs in Macedonia and the region and conduct surveys of public opinion. CRPM regularly organizes forums, roundtables, and debates offering to policy makers “just-in-time” policy recommendations that are product of comprehensive policy research, well-argued and focused on Government actions on policy issues subject to the CRPM’s research interest. The research activities and analysis of CRPM’s team are followed with advocacy efforts that are fully aligned with the communication and advocacy strategy of the organization. Some of our policy proposals are being accepted by the government, while others, although there is an intense public discussion, are not. CRPM is ranked 42 among CEE and SEE on the Think Tank Index in 2020 and has received the PASOS think tank award in 2011, best policy study award in 2013 and the Japanese Award for Outstanding Research in Development by the Global Development Network in 2016.
Main responsibilities of the Finance Officer
The main responsibilities of the Financial Officer include, but are not limited to:
- Perform duties in full compliance with donor’s financial regulations and rules, CRPM’s policies and standard operating procedures, including internal controls;
- Review and verify financial transactions, activities, and documentation;
- Draft reports on financial status, procedures, exchange rates, costs and expenditures;
- Follow-up on audit recommendations to monitor implementation of corrective actions;
- Provide assistance to the programme teams with various system operational part of the tasks
- Provide assistance for the Annual Report;
- Review accounts receivables of the grant scheme and follow-up with project managers and finance section;
- Communicate with the executive director, financial manager, project manager and other project staff for effective implementation of the project objectives and results.
Specific grant management responsibilities
- Review grant applications;
- Manage the financial portfolio of grants in accordance with established processes;
- Review incoming financial reports against predicted spend and assess whether on time and on budget;
- Work with colleagues in the Grants Management Team to take appropriate decisions on holding or withdrawing of funding support to grant holders if necessary;
- Assist in developing financial report templates for grant holders;
- Check that criteria for reviewing reports are well-defined and reviewed on a regular basis;
- Review payment requests and supporting documents from grantees;
- Manage petty cash fund;
- Monitor each month over-expenditure of budgets and follow up with grantees;
- Monitor proper follow up of advances to implementing partners, review their financial reports together with project managers;
- Monitor and proper follow up of all the financial items in Month-end and Year-end closure instructions status and under the guidance of the Operations Associate, take correction actions as required
- Keep grantees informed for timely actions/decisions and review status reports for quality control;
- Provide information inputs to financial reports for Financial Manager;
- Participate in relevant meetings with project partners and grantees as required;
- Carry out monitoring visits to grant holder institutions, including in-country;
- Contribute to cross-program sharing and learning activities and events;
- Build positive and trusting relationships with grant holders;
- Assist in developing new or updated resources and toolkits and the delivery of coaching sessions and workshops;
- With other members of the Grants Management Team, identify grant holders with specific performance issues that need to be addressed and agree appropriate action to help resolve them;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Beside the general terms of employment entailed in the national legislation, the candidate should also fulfill the specific terms of employment for the positions such as:
- University degree in business administration, finance, economics;
- Specialized national or international certification in accounting and finance is an asset;
- Audit experience will be considered as an asset.
- Experience in managing finances in the civil society sector (similar regional experience will be considered an asset);
- Excellent oral and written communication in Macedonian and Serbian (knowledge in Albanian will be considered an asset);
- Excellent oral and written English language communication skills;
- Advanced computer skills, especially MS Excel and MS Word, internet browsing and e-mail communication (knowledge of finance and money management software will be considered an asset);
- Good knowledge of financial rules and regulations and accounting principles;
- Ability to administer and execute financial and accounting processes and transaction.
Accountability and Working Relationships
- Accountable to the Project Manager, Project Director CRPM Financial manager and CRPM Executive Director;
- Works closely with all members of the Grants Management Team;
- Works with members of the MEL, Communications and CRPM research teams.
- Great attention to details, precision and accuracy in performing tasks;
- Proactive, creative, solution-oriented person;
- Good time management skills;
- Flexibility and adaptability of the work challenges;
- Ability to meet deadlines, work on own initiative and consult where appropriate;
- Availability and willingness to travel in Macedonia and Serbia and territory of the Western Balkan countries;
- Strong commitment to CRPM’s mission and values;
- Highly motivated self-starter;
- Intercultural sensitivity and awareness is a must.
Salary: According to the CRPM salary policy, the salary is formed based on several important factors, including education, certifications, additional skills, number of years you have spent in your profession, etc.
Candidates can apply by submitting a two-page cover letter explaining their interest in the position, what can they bring to the role and how they fit the person specifications.
Please send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com with the title “Application for CRPM Finance Officer” no later than 01.09.2022.
The selection process in CRPM is conducted in three phases and in multiple languages:
- Resume screening and cover letter assessment;
The selection panel is made of 5 CRPM employees and / or members of the Advisory Board.